“Fellowship worth ��8,000 to return to Japan”
Call for the BRIDGE Fellowship
This award gives the opportunity for past fellows of JSPS programmes to revisit Japan to create, sustain and/or strengthen collaborative linkages with the Japanese academic community.
All researchers who are registered with the UK-JSPS Alumni Association are eligible to apply. The objective is to build strong networks between researchers in Japan and the UK through a variety of academic activities.
These visits may include Fellows revisiting their past host institutions, holding meetings to plan or arrange joint research projects or seminars, training young researchers, giving lectures, and preparing or attending scientific conferences and research meetings. The results of each BRIDGE visit are to be recorded in reports written by both the visiting researcher and their Alumni Association. These reports are then used to evaluate the visit by the collaborative linkages created, sustained or strengthened as a result.
Please visit the JSPS Tokyo Head Quarters webpage for more information:
Eligibility of Applicant
To be eligible, the researcher must meet all of the following requirements:
- All researchers who have done research in Japan under a JSPS Program and are registered with the UK-JSPS Alumni Association and based in the UK and Ireland are eligible to apply.
- The host researcher must be in support of all 7 administrative clauses on Form 2 (Agreement by Host Researcher) and e mail correspondence must be provided as evidence.
- Eligible research fields are not limited: Computer, Engineering, Health, Biological, Life, Natural and Physical Sciences, Mathematics, Humanities and Social Sciences etc.
- A researcher can only be awarded a BRIDGE Fellowship once.
To confirm if you are registered or for other enquiries related to this Fellowship, please telephone JSPS London on: 020 7255 4660 or e mail Ms. Polly Watson at email@example.com
Eligibility of Host Researchers
Researchers who wish to host a BRIDGE Fellow should be employed full time at one of the following types of Japanese research institutes:
|(1.) Universities, junior colleges, inter-university research institutes, technical colleges|
|*(2.) National and public research laboratories|
|*(3.) Independent administrative institutions, quasi-government organizations, general incorporated associations and general incorporated foundations that carry out research activities|
|*(4.)Private research institutes|
*eligible institutions for (2.) to (4.) are listed at:
*Full time employment is determined by the regulations of the host institution.
Requirements of BRIDGE Fellows
- Fellows are required to submit a report to JSPS Tokyo Head Quarters and JSPS London within one month of completing their tenure (Report 1). This report, including details of the affiliation of the host researcher and BRIDGE Fellow, may be given public access.
- Fellows are asked to mention they have been invited under the JSPS BRIDGE program when giving lectures and presentations in Japan.
- During their tenure, the Fellow is obligated to concentrate on creating, sustaining and strengthening research and academic networks related to the BRIDGE program and should not be engaged in other paid or non paid activities.
Commencement of Awards
JSPS London will make up to 3 recommendations for awards to JSPS Head Quarters in this call. This will be the only call for Fiscal Year 2012.
Unsuccessful applicants will be notified in writing by JSPS London within 1 month of the closing date. Successful applicants will receive an award letter and pre-departure documents from JSPS Head Quarters by mid- May 2012.
- Fellowships are awarded for a period of 14 to 45 days
- Successful applicants are asked to start their Fellowships in Japan from 1 July 2012 to 31 March 2013
Value of the Award
- Round trip air ticket
- Daily maintenance allowance of ¥15,000
- Domestic research travel allowance of ¥150,000
- Overseas travel, accident and sickness insurance coverage
- Cooperation allowance of ¥50,000
Application Assessment Criteria
- Provision a: Recruitment Policy
- Provision b: Rules for Nominating Committee Members
- Provision c: Screening Criteria
These documents can be found at the following URL:
To apply for the scheme, please download and complete the application form and agreement by the host researcher, available from here:
* E mail correspondence in support of Form 2 should also be provided
In all sections of the application forms please do not exceed the space provided and do not use a font size below 10. Any additional information given will not be considered.
All completed application forms should be sent to:
Ms. Polly Watson
14 Stephenson Way
Closing Date for Applications: 17:30, Wednesday 22nd February 2012
- There is a limit of one application per person in any fiscal year, irrespective of whether the applicant may belong to more than one JSPS Alumni Association. A single researcher may be awarded several times.
- A researcher may not be a candidate for both the BRIDGE Fellowship or any other JSPS fellowship at the same time.
- Researchers who have been previously supported under any JSPS international program are required to describe the results and its relevance, if any, in their application for a BRIDGE Fellowship.
- JSPS does not support any research or network building activity directly related to military affairs.
- Should JSPS London determine any information provided is incomplete, falsified, plagiarized or otherwise flawed, the application will be rejected.
- JSPS will take appropriate measures (e.g termination of fellowship, require reimbursement of part or all allowances paid) in cases of misuse of research funds, improper conduct (e.g fabrication, falsification, plagiarization), unjustifiable acts (e.g discrimination, harassment), or violation of laws.