Calls for Symposium Scheme for Japanese Researchers Based in the UK
JSPS London’s primary aims include publicising academic research from Japan, strengthening collaborative research linkages between the UK and Japan and developing the internationalisation of Japanese universities. To help achieve these aims, JSPS London is proud to announce a scheme to support symposia organised by Japanese researchers based in the UK, at institutional or departmental level, to create high quality collaboration in cutting edge/ internationally competitive areas. In addition to supporting the initial symposium, JSPS London now offers PHASE 2 to fund a follow-on UK- Japan event. This could be a symposium or smaller scale seminar. Please refer to the section "PHASE 2 Applications" for more details.
Applicable Research Fields:
Open to any research field at HE institutions.
Japanese researchers based at a university or research institute in the UK and are normally an established academic e.g. research team leader or PI. The applicant’s affiliation should be the lead institute.
- To strengthen UK-Japan academic linkages.
- The symposium should at least be at institutional or departmental level.
- Involvement is needed from the appropriate senior academic level e.g. Vice Chancellor, Pro Vice Chancellor or Head of School, who can facilitate on-going collaboration at institutional level.
- Involvement from the appropriate senior academic level of the co scientific lead’s institution in Japan is preferable.
- Primarily, speakers should come from universities or academic research institutes in Japan and the UK.
- The symposium should be open for all.
- Support of international conferences that occur periodically is not within the JSPS London remit.
- Applicants can not apply to the JSPS/ESRC Bilateral Funding Programme for support for the same symposium.
- It is not possible to apply to this symposium scheme if already receiving another source of funding from JSPS used to support the same event.
- Scientific excellence.
- Broad participation from institutions including the very best researchers in the UK and Japan.
- Contribution to academic linkages between the UK and Japan.
- Evidence of the event having high impact.
- Institutional or departmental level involvement.
- Significance of the host institution in the UK in holding the symposium
- Appropriateness of proposal to meet objective.
- Value for money.
Terms of Funding:
An international air ticket and daily allowance for the symposium for the main speakers from Japan (up to 5 people) will be provided. The daily allowance is to be used for domestic travel costs in the UK. A separate allowance will be provided by JSPS Headquarters to cover travel between the invited speaker’s institution and nearest airport in Japan. Alternatively, if involvement of postdoctoral researchers is planned, JSPS will offer these travel allowances for up to 4 senior academics and 2 postdoctoral researchers. In this case, please consult with JSPS London about their involvement. An example of such involvement could be a side session for the postdoctoral researchers to facilitate interaction with senior and early career researchers based in the UK.
※ Researchers employed full time at one of the following types of Japanese research institutes are eligible:
(1.) Universities, junior colleges, inter-university research institutes and technical colleges
*(2.) National and public research laboratories
*(3.) Independent administrative institutions, quasi-government organizations, general
incorporated associations and general incorporated foundations that carry out research activities
*(4.)Private research institutes
*eligible institutions for (2.) to (4.) are listed at:
- Up to ￡2,000 is available to partly support the cost of the venue, hospitalities and material printing costs or advertisements in recognised journals, providing the host institution can produce relevant invoices to JSPS London.
- Benefit-in-kind or financial support from the lead institution is needed. A letter of support, signed by the most senior level involved, that details the contribution the lead institution is able to make should be included with the application.
- Other forms of financial support are allowable providing JSPS London is recognised as taking the lead and co sponsorship must be on a not-for-profit basis.
Responsibility of Applicant:
- The JSPS logo must be used on all symposium related materials.
- Space at the venue must be provided for a booth to be able to publicise JSPS programmes to attendees.
- A slot in the programme should be made for JSPS London to make a presentation to promote their activities and funding programmes.
Timeframe for Symposium:
The symposium may be held between June 2012 to the end of February 2013.
Duration for Symposium:
Normally 1 to 3 days for a stand-alone conference.
Number of Symposiums Supported:
1 or 2 in a fiscal year.
To apply for this scheme, please submit the following:
a.) Completed application form.
b.) CV of applicant and co scientific lead.
c.) CV of Japanese speakers whose travel costs are to be supported by JSPS.
※ Max. of 1 A4 page for CVs and 1 A4 page for publications should be submitted for each person.
d.) Support letter from lead institution.
The application form is available to download from here
Please do not exceed the space given in any section and do not use a font size below 10.
Closing Date for Proposals:
17:30 Monday 31st October 2011 (applications post marked after this time will not be accepted).
Selection and Notification:
JSPS London will hold a panel meeting and announce the results to all candidates in April 2012.
PHASE 2 Applications:
PHASE 2 is applicable to those who have been previously awarded under the UK-JSPS Symposium Scheme for Japanese Researchers based in the UK. Applicants to PHASE 2 must show a progression in collaborative work and network building with counterparts in Japan since the last symposium supported by JSPS London. There is no limit to the number of times an applicant can be awarded under PHASE 2 and the UK-Japan event can be a symposium or smaller scale seminar. All of the above selection criteria, application procedure and terms and conditions will apply, however, a different application form for PHASE 2 must be completed which is available from here:
All completed application forms should be posted for the attention of Ms. Polly Watson at: JSPS London, 14 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2HD. Mr. Saito, the Deputy Director, can also be contacted for further information by e mail at email@example.com or by telephone on 020 7255 4660.